I am here in San Francisco at Inman Connect which is the "trade" conference for real estate. There are very few agents here, a number of brokers and franchises, and a lot of real estate technology companies. This is probably the 6th or 7th Inman news conference I have been to. It's great to connect with old friends and colleagues and to meet new people and potential partners as well.
Can anyone guess the focus of the conference? Yup, social media. Mobile was also big.
The conference had some great and compelling speakers:
- Emily White, Sr Director of Local at FaceBook
- Jason Spero, Head of Mobile Advertising, Google
- Porter Gale, VP of Marketing, Virgin America
- Krisstina Wise, Principal Broker, the Good Life Team
- Ryan Holmes, CEO, HootSuite
- David Vivero, CEO, RentJuice
- Joe Gebbia, Founder, AirBNB
To name a few.
Highlights for me:
- Social is becoming pervasive for consumers.
- Consumers are spending more time on social networks than on email.
- Social is about relationship building, not advertising
- Social media takes the offline personal networking and is moving it online. Many people said that the real estate industry should be great at social media and social media marketing since real estate in the physical world is about relationships and networking.
- Social has to be authentic as people and consumers can sense advertising and turn off.
- The intersection of local and social seems to be the next great thing (so the real estate industry should have a lot of opportunity here)
- Agent reviews on Zillow and Yelp are here to stay. Reviews are going to be become more pervasive.
Emily White - Best Practices for Your FaceBook Page:
- Create a presence and make sure you are found
- Keep your page interesting to keep it interesting
- Be authentic - consumers can sniff out a fake
- Interact and engage! Think of FaceBook as a party
- Ask a question
- Respond to users
- Share industry news
- Link to current events
Jason Spero, Head of Mobile Advertising at Google
- 82% of home buyers use the Internet as the primary source of information
- 35% of home buyers are using a mobile device for information
- 1 in 6 search queries are from a mobile device
What to do in mobile?
- Be there when they are searching
- Be local
- Be personal
- 1 in 3 queries on Google have mobile intent
- 60% call; 60% visit a local business
- Geotarget your ads
- Help consumers choose an agent using bios
- Get feedback from clients